Saturday, 23 September 2017

Sad realization

So another season is nearing its end and Teal has unfortunately spent all of it on her mooring.
Keeping her in Baltimore was suppose to be the answer but we basically put her out of sight
and out of mind.
I have kept an eye on her and managed to spend a night or two on board and do a little house
keeping, run the engine etc. However I don't want to love her to death so sadly we have decided to offer her For Sale.
My current plan is to take her up river soon and put her to bed for the Winter. There are a few
finishing touches I need to do inside and the canvas deck has not held up well so I am going to
remove all the deck fittings, rubbing strips and toe-rails and recover it, either in canvas with different
paints or epoxy coat it. The only reason I would now consider epoxy is for longevity and the fact that
if I sold her and the deck goes bad it will destroy the whole boat.

Next season I will bring her back to Union Hall where at very least I will see her much more regularly at which stage I may advertise her elsewhere.
Its not that she requires much annually, a good week gets all the paint and varnish done and and doesn't cost much, the yard and insurance are the biggest cost but even that is not too bad but its
all for nothing if she is not used.
Things have changed somewhat for me since we started on Teal six years ago, the charter boat
which was originally planned to be a way of covering the cost of the boats has now become my
livelihood and as much as the kids love getting out on Teal we want to do other things as well when
I'm not fishing. This isn't a light hearted decision and I have sat to write this post numerous times
over the last few weeks.

We were asked a while back what we would have done differently in Teals rebuild with money no
object and the answer was, "nothing" she got what she needed.

So thats the story really. If you are interested in a sail-away condition, 103 year old Falmouth quay punt with all the hard work done get in touch and we can have a chat.

Wednesday, 16 August 2017

My laptop has come to a sorry end after an encounter with a large wave so I'm waiting on a new one but have a few pictures on my phone from a few weeks back on a little trip with the kids to sherkin and hackets creek.
Unfortunately we have failed once again to make use of Teal much this year and now serious questions have to be asked.

Friday, 7 July 2017

No its not a clip from the Goonie's, The ship is going the wrong  direction obviously LOL

Not something you see on most mackerel trips. I had to head straight to this spot for the picture.
I looked her up on AIS and she is a UK registered ship called the Phoenix. I haven't read any more about her yet.
A little while later the breeze died and it brightened up as she turned further South with her stern to us, It looked pretty dam impressive heading out over the horizon.

More on Teal soon once I gather a few pictures up.

Friday, 26 May 2017


Ken and Grainne hard at work. Finally getting Teals cushions covered.
Just in time for the weekend. Off to the 2017 Baltimore Wooden Boat Festival tomorrow morning.
Have to get off the mooring early or we'll be hard a ground for all the races. Spring tides this weekend.

Monday, 15 May 2017

Camera was on a funny setting for this one. We had a small accident with the crane. We had to let the chains down into the cockpit to let out some links and as we were watching the rigging when they were being hauled back up a link caught the cleat and ripped it out of the coamings, Thankfully the cleat gave before the coachroof, Need to do a repair the next day.

Varnished stripped

We had a nice easterly going down the river so sailed most of the way with just the main up. We had no outer forestay  rigged yet so had to do without a jib

Monday, 8 May 2017

Launch day tomorrow

So its final bits of varnish and painting that needs to be done before launching but there are coats to be done when we are out on a nice dust free mooring.
Ken had to be back at school time today so I took the opportunity to treat the Apple Pie dinghy to some much needed TLC. It finally got some rubbing strips on the bow and stern albeit softwood, but after  three seasons it seemed to be that or nothing. It had also been covered in rust from angle grinding when left in the yard last year so it got a nice new coat of paint. Blue because its what I had. 
Engine cover got new paint and varnish as did the washboards, tiller handle and my oars.
Teal is looking pretty well now again so tomorrow it is mainly a case of getting the rest of the spars on and mainsail bent on.

Drifting of topic a little but I thought I'd show you round my shed and some of the various other bits I spend my time messing about with. It probably explains why I'm quite comfortable in Hegarty's yard.
The shed which is an old sheep shed has seen a lot of various uses and projects of every sort come and go. The biggest thing about all this stuff is that it was important enough to me to survive the   "the great Teal funding sell off of 2011-2014"
Or just worthless 

Yep! full of crap, but it is improving

The last year has seen this end becoming a workshop, The new floor is level, everything else is not.

The Salt bay skiff sitting on top of a strange little 8ft speed boat which given years and years ago. I may do it up for my kids at some point. Other things include piskie's sky light which we didn't use in the end and a big section of Teals original keel.

My beloved Jetta amidst an engine transplant

My 323 which has been waiting for a respray since 2010. I'll get there

And hiding over there is "Suzette". Shes not mine, just looking after her.