Friday 21 November 2014

Valhalla

I'm renovating my parents old house at the moment and when I took down a stud partition I found a newspaper and a few photos that Dad put there 20 years ago. At the time he was skippering a charter boat out of Courtmacsherry, he was running the Mark Antony, a wooden (probably half decker) that I don't remember all that well other than it had an open back wheelhouse with a raised floor that housed the engine and vibrated like mad. One of the photos was of a second boat belonging to the same person. The 'Valhalla' I remembered her as being very good looking and an older design, I think Dad chose to run the the Mark Antony because she had more room despite being shorter.
The boats where replaced in the mid to late ninetys, I would love to know what happened to the Valhalla, She must be something a long the lines of a West Country Tosher and about 35ft long. As well as that I really like the name. It would be a crying shame if she rotted away somewhere.

The joys of running a passenger boat back then, No rails, no licence and pretty sure Dad said they didn't even have a bilge pump worth talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment