Monday 24 February 2014

Hardware

I crossed a good bit of stuff off the list over the last few days. The biggest of these was varnishing the spars.
I finally got a few days dry enough to get the last 2 coats on them and I moved them back to the big shed and refitted the hardware to them. They only fittings that remain off are the mast fittings as its hanging up out of the way and I don't want to move it until its going to the boatyard.
We also fitted the Bobstay and bumpkin stay fittings, the engine bed screws and drilled the driveshaft for the prop nut cotter pin.
I primed the last of the bare interior wood last week and Ken gave  it the first coat of undercoat on Friday, I gave it a second coat on Saturday and finish coated it all today. So the next day I will refit all the bunk tops and engine cover and hang all the side panel doors.
I've made washboards and an interior step which I'm in the process of varnishing and finished off the deck/stem joint by letting in a piece of iroko and caulking it in place so once I hinge the forehatch the boat should be ok out in the open. Although the weather isn't exactly inspiring me to remove the tent at the moment.

Bolted through the stem with 8 inch bolts, Its going nowhere


Plate for the beaching legs

Engine cooling intake fitted and Red lead over the engine bed screws

This by right should have been done differently but I didn't realise it in time.

This is what I should have done in the first place  and run the deck forward over the apron/stem joint then caulked it or put a bead along the join

Instead I've cut a snug fitting piece of iroko, bedded it in red lead putty, tucked down the canvas and caulked it all the way round. I've used Stikaflex to fill the seams after. It should be very water tight, Now I just need to tidy it up and give it a coat of woodskin. The stem top will be chiseled out to seat the bowsprit and the bronze stemhead fitted. The deck needs a good rinse after a winter in the tent.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you are coming on well and I wish I had large shed to put my spars in and varnish them. So how long before you will be sailing again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid my big shed was once a sheep shed so it is big but not so dry. Great for drying things quick in the Summer but not so much in the Winter. We're planning on having her sailing for the http://www.baltimorewoodenboatfestival.com/ at the end of May. Well hopefully we might get to try her out before that if the weather changes its tune.

    ReplyDelete