Sunday 21 December 2014


The boats are both now laid up ashore for the rest of the Winter, My Charter boat just got lifted this week so that puts an end to the longest season I have had, I launched in late March and had my last days out early in December. I don't have a Baltimore mooring so I was tying up in Hegarty's which meant getting up and down the river in the morning and evening, leaving at day break and getting back after dark. 
The last morning out the boat was frozen solid when I arrived around 7 on a Sunday morning. She has no cold start so it took a bit of cranking before she came to life. All the decks where frozen as well as all the ropes. I had to stop a few times on the way down river to hose down the windscreen. Things finally thawed out a bit by the time I was South of Baltimore. 
It was a novelty for a few days but I don't envy lads who fish commercially all Winter.
I am going to organise another heavy duty mooring next Summer so I have the option of staying in longer if not all Winter. My current moorings should be well up to it but I would want to be absolutely sure. Operating from a mooring would mean I could avoid the really early mornings and late evenings and working as much in the dark. 
As for Winter sailing! Its pretty dam cold in the wheelhouse not to mind standing in a cockpit.

I'd like to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Here's to a great 2015 and a fantastic Summer's sailing. Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment